Squeak 4.42 crashes on Risc OS 5.28
Ralf
2022-04-02 04:14:17 UTC
After some time with other systems i now returned after a long time to
Risc OS on a Raspberry Pi. I wanted to get again going with Squeak (which
i had running on Riscos some time ago), but both offered Versions 4.0 and
4.42 are crashing when i try to start them... both with the message
"Illegal Window Handle" and "Return Code to large".

Has anyone perhaps encountered a similiar problem and can me give a hint
how to resolve that problem?
Chris Newman
2022-04-03 20:00:22 UTC
Post by Ralf
After some time with other systems i now returned after a long time to
Risc OS on a Raspberry Pi. I wanted to get again going with Squeak
(which i had running on Riscos some time ago), but both offered
Versions 4.0 and 4.42 are crashing when i try to start them... both
with the message "Illegal Window Handle" and "Return Code to large".
Has anyone perhaps encountered a similiar problem and can me give a
hint how to resolve that problem?
Excuse my ignorance but what is "Squeak?"
Chris Newman
Ralf
2022-04-02 07:03:31 UTC
Post by Chris Newman
Excuse my ignorance but what is "Squeak?"
Squeak is a Smalltalk dialect, an really nice to work with that is. If you
are interested a look at https://www.squeak.org may be worth ist.
Chris Newman
2022-04-06 16:09:10 UTC
Post by Ralf
Post by Chris Newman
Excuse my ignorance but what is "Squeak?"
Squeak is a Smalltalk dialect, an really nice to work with that is. If
you are interested a look at https://www.squeak.org may be worth ist.
Ta.
Chris Newman
Stuart
2022-04-06 18:31:07 UTC
Post by Ralf
Post by Chris Newman
Excuse my ignorance but what is "Squeak?"
Squeak is a Smalltalk dialect, an really nice to work with that is. If you
are interested a look at https://www.squeak.org may be worth
Apparently it's another programming language so why not say so?
--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/
Ralf
2022-04-08 17:52:22 UTC
Post by Stuart
Apparently it's another programming language so why not say so?
Its... complicated ;-) Yes, smalltalk (and Squeak as its subset) is - on
the one hand - just another programming language, on the other hand its a
complete programming environment, a virtual machine with a complete
desktop environment (or better: it could be used in this way)...

Its just a whole lot stuff to fanboy about.

Doug Webb
2022-04-04 11:12:02 UTC
Post by Ralf
After some time with other systems i now returned after a long time to
Risc OS on a Raspberry Pi. I wanted to get again going with Squeak (which
i had running on Riscos some time ago), but both offered Versions 4.0 and
4.42 are crashing when i try to start them... both with the message
"Illegal Window Handle" and "Return Code to large".
Has anyone perhaps encountered a similiar problem and can me give a hint
how to resolve that problem?
Hi Ralf,

I do get the occasional issue you mention on 4.4 though 4.6 does seem more
stable and I have recently updated it via the built in update.

A reboot usually cures it.

This is both on a ARMX6 and RaspberryPi4 running 5.29.

I also have Scratch 1.4 running here as well.

I did have some correspondance with Tim Rowledge about Squeak and Scratch
and he did some updates about 3 years back as one of the MUG members very
kindly provided him with an updated ROOL C update.
--
Experience the future using ARM Technology - ARMBook,BeagleBoard -xM,
PandaBoard,Raspberry Pi,iMX6/ARMX6,IGEPv5 & Titanium powered by RISC OS
5.28.
Doug Webb
2022-04-04 13:36:29 UTC
Post by Doug Webb
I do get the occasional issue you mention on 4.4 though 4.6 does seem more
stable and I have recently updated it via the built in update.
A reboot usually cures it.
I have now altered the free object memory set aside when starting from
160Mb to 240Mb

/<Squeak$Dir>.!RunImage -memory:240m %*0

The change can be set in the !Run file as well as you can push it to use
DynamicArea memory even on RISCOS 5 with the -useDA attribute.

Just read the attribute bits in the !Run file and alter as required.

Hope that helps
5.28.
Ralf
2022-04-02 06:59:57 UTC
Post by Doug Webb
Hope that helps
Hi, thank you for your tips! After all, i (ssemingly) found the issue in a
different corner... at least now it runs: I had my OS running in ARMv5
compatibility mode, i just tried to set it to ARMv7 strict mode, and now
Squeak runs perfectly stable.