Iris on Pi400
Richard Ashbery
2023-02-16 15:17:34 UTC
Simon Ayes has given a reasonable review of Iris running on Pi 400.
Tested on an SSD running RISC OS Direct. See it on Youtube...

Richard
Alexander Ausserstorfer
2023-02-19 12:45:06 UTC
Post by Richard Ashbery
Simon Ayes has given a reasonable review of Iris running on Pi 400.
Tested on an SSD running RISC OS Direct. See it on Youtube...
http://youtu.be/Xyw4OYBRlww
Thanks for the hint! It seems that a web browser on another platform works
more well yet. Is there a chance that a web browser for RISC OS will work
properly with all web sites in near future? And how long it will be
supported then?

I don't think the web browser is the point. The point are the web sites or
pages. They are so small and fast - complettely in the idea of RISC of
course!

PlingStore was a good idea. You don't need a web browser for it at all!

A.
http://home.chiemgau-net.de/ausserstorfer/
Richard Ashbery
2023-02-19 15:11:18 UTC
Post by Alexander Ausserstorfer
Post by Richard Ashbery
Simon Ayes has given a reasonable review of Iris running on Pi
400. Tested on an SSD running RISC OS Direct. See it on Youtube...
http://youtu.be/Xyw4OYBRlww
Thanks for the hint! It seems that a web browser on another
platform works more well yet. Is there a chance that a web browser
for RISC OS will work properly with all web sites in near future?
Sadly I don't think so. Video will always be a problem.
Post by Alexander Ausserstorfer
And how long it will be supported then?
For as long as RISC OS Developments Ltd. keeps going I suspect.
Post by Alexander Ausserstorfer
I don't think the web browser is the point. The point are the web
sites or pages. They are so small and fast - complettely in the
idea of RISC of course!
I'm lost on that one Alexander???

In the past we could happily fetch web pages simply with NetSurf, but
with Javascript and CSS bloadware, RISC OS users need Iris which is
improving all the time. In my opinion Iris is turning out to be an
important tool for users.
Post by Alexander Ausserstorfer
PlingStore was a good idea. You don't need a web browser for it at all!
I'm not sure about this one?

Richard
Steve Fryatt
2023-02-19 16:52:48 UTC
On 19 Feb, Richard Ashbery wrote in message
but with [...] CSS bloadware, RISC OS users need Iris
Really?
--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/
Richard Ashbery
2023-02-20 13:15:05 UTC
Post by Steve Fryatt
On 19 Feb, Richard Ashbery wrote in message
but with [...] CSS bloadware, RISC OS users need Iris
Really?
Obviously I shouldn't have included CSS. I think there is a
misspelling in there as well :-(

Richard
Alexander Ausserstorfer
2023-02-26 08:39:08 UTC
Post by Richard Ashbery
Post by Alexander Ausserstorfer
I don't think the web browser is the point. The point are the web
sites or pages. They are so small and fast - complettely in the
idea of RISC of course!
I'm lost on that one Alexander???
It was ironic.

The idea of RISC is to make things simple, easy, fast and very optimum
in meaning of resources.

To configure certain accessories you'll need a huge blowed up webbrowser
which is able to use Javascipt and such choses but there exists also
accessories what can be configured or read-out only by a simple textfile
like the Columbus P-1 of course, en contraire!

Very often, there is no technical reason for knitting a web page in a
way that it depends on a huge blowed up webbrowser but people are doing
it (without the need for) and this it what makes me often a bit angry.
It's not what I want.

A.
http://home.chiemgau-net.de/ausserstorfer/
Sebastian Barthel
2023-02-26 15:20:49 UTC
Post by Richard Ashbery
Post by Alexander Ausserstorfer
I don't think the web browser is the point. The point are the web
sites or pages. They are so small and fast - complettely in the idea
of RISC of course!
I'm lost on that one Alexander???
It was ironic.
"Sarcastical" describes it better ... ;)

A very interesting website to test any kind of browser is the website of
e.g. Alfa Romeo , <https://www.alfaromeo.co.uk> or <https://
www.alfaromeo.de/modelle/stelvio>. The BMW oder Landrover sites will do
as well. And <https://www.tesla.com/models> has all the bells and
whistles, videos included.

Any big mediawebsite (BBC, netflix, NY Times) will do as well.

!Netsurf - probably - won't run any of them.

We will see if !Iris can do.

For the long run and not to distant future the next chapter has been
announced: Virtual 3D in the browser. With Sonys new eyewear (headset
VR2) there will be a completely new experience - and a maximized
datastream and (therefore) needed calculation-power too. Some 30 MIPS of
a RiscPC won't be enough, an a RPi without the correct hardware decoders
could be unusable.

Eventually a type of "prerender proxy" (a second RPi) with Linux/BSD that
takes the websites an renders them into a picture or a "normal" website
could be a solution for the future. Such a thing can always be kept
operational and is mor up-to-date in terms of security, than a RISCOS
machine ever can be.

However: !Iris is an intersting project ! An looks promising too.

Thanks for the link.
Alexander Ausserstorfer
2023-02-27 05:02:51 UTC
Post by Richard Ashbery
Post by Alexander Ausserstorfer
I don't think the web browser is the point. The point are the web
sites or pages. They are so small and fast - complettely in the idea
of RISC of course!
I'm lost on that one Alexander???
It was ironic.
"Sarcastical" describes it better ... ;)
Excuse-moi, je suis de la Bavière... juste un idiot de plus au monde...
Neither I speak properly German, nor francais nor British...
Post by Sebastian Barthel
For the long run and not to distant future the next chapter has been
announced: Virtual 3D in the browser. With Sonys new eyewear (headset
VR2) there will be a completely new experience - and a maximized
datastream and (therefore) needed calculation-power too. Some 30 MIPS of
a RiscPC won't be enough, an a RPi without the correct hardware decoders
could be unusable.
For what use? I'm looking online for a telephone number, which is 12
numbers long, and I count here 1,3 MB or more of data transfer until I get
it! This has an efficiency of 0,000 008 8....!
^^^
It is like with the mobile phones today. People hacks the telephone
numbers in and don't know them anymore (because they don't keep it in
the mind).

Aber: HOCH LEBE DIE DIGITALISIERUNG!

A.
http://home.chiemgau-net.de/ausserstorfer/
Sebastian Barthel
2023-02-28 19:38:50 UTC
Post by Richard Ashbery
Post by Alexander Ausserstorfer
I don't think the web browser is the point. The point are the web
sites or pages. They are so small and fast - complettely in the idea
of RISC of course!
I'm lost on that one Alexander???
It was ironic.
"Sarcastical" describes it better ... ;)
Excuse-moi, je suis de la Bavière...
Es sei Dir verziehen. :)
Post by Sebastian Barthel
For the long run and not to distant future the next chapter has been
announced: Virtual 3D in the browser. With Sonys new eyewear (headset
VR2) there will be a completely new experience - and a maximized
datastream and (therefore) needed calculation-power too. Some 30 MIPS
of a RiscPC won't be enough, an a RPi without the correct hardware
decoders could be unusable.
For what use? I'm looking online for a telephone number, which is 12
numbers long, and I count here 1,3 MB or more of data transfer until I
get it! This has an efficiency of 0,000 008 8....!
Efficiency is not the point You should look at. But with the iPhone in
Your pockets You are able to look for every telephone number in every
telephone book that is available online. Try to imagine this in 1964 or
1998. Its a giant leap ... the problem is: nobody needs to know all the
telephone numbers.
Post by Alexander Ausserstorfer
It is like with the mobile phones today. People hacks the telephone
numbers in and don't know them anymore (because they don't keep it in
the mind).
Aber: HOCH LEBE DIE DIGITALISIERUNG!
But - it won't stop if You dislike it. Next chapters of the story are
coming soon. Try to use the deepl.com website or the ChatGPT of openai.
VirtualReality is reality (more or less). Young childs are playing with
drones all over the world and in CZ You can buy a flying car. Bitcoins
are accepted in many shops as payment and people are sitting in front of
their LCD monitors to relax by riding into the wild wild west (Red Dead
Redemption) every afternoon.

Try to find the positive things, that it can give to You - and be happy
about it. I assume at least the online maps (openstreet and opentopomap)
could be useful for Your needs too.

Cheers and all the best.
SBn
Alexander Ausserstorfer
2023-03-02 09:54:26 UTC
Post by Sebastian Barthel
Post by Alexander Ausserstorfer
For what use? I'm looking online for a telephone number, which is 12
numbers long, and I count here 1,3 MB or more of data transfer until I
get it! This has an efficiency of 0,000 008 8....!
Efficiency is not the point You should look at. But with the iPhone in
Your pockets You are able to look for every telephone number in every
telephone book that is available online. Try to imagine this in 1964 or
1998. Its a giant leap ... the problem is: nobody needs to know all the
telephone numbers.
I'm sure that you could do exactly the same in a much more easy way which isn't so complicate. I see no physical reason to load 1,3 MB for doing that.
Post by Sebastian Barthel
Post by Alexander Ausserstorfer
It is like with the mobile phones today. People hacks the telephone
numbers in and don't know them anymore (because they don't keep it in
the mind).
Aber: HOCH LEBE DIE DIGITALISIERUNG!
Try to find the positive things, that it can give to You - and be happy
about it. I assume at least the online maps (openstreet and opentopomap)
could be useful for Your needs too.
Have you ever used !RiscOSM? It is very good because there is no need to go online. You can do it at home.

I'm not against network and computers at all. The point is that under certain circumstances you will have more work with it as without.

An example may be the road book of a guy which did a bike travel in Canada. On the road he wrote reports _online_ on a website. This had the need to be online all the time what required a lot of power and caused a lot of data traffic. It would become much more easier if he could work offline with the software (like we can do it with RISC OS) and then just upload all the new datas when he's online with his machine.

I have here the Gemini PDA. It's an amazing and genious machine. The problem is the OS and software. It forces you to work online all the time. Here, I cannot write a news or even email on it without sending it directly out, for example. There is no queue.

A.
--
Usenet Reader for Android
http://android.newsgroupstats.hk