Tooltips
Dave
2022-08-05 20:05:29 UTC
Good evening folks.

I was using OvPro for MS-Windows earlier and couldn't remember which of
three icons on my tool bar was the one I wanted, so as per usual Win side
I just hovered the mouse over the icons and a tooltip informed me in turn
what they were.

Later back on the RISC OS side, again using OvPro and other apps, I
wondered have there ever (Nb.) been any RISC OS apps that incorporated
tooltips?

Thanks
Dave

Nb: The only one I know of is 'WebWonder' which has a status bar at the
bottom of the window detailing the tool button the mouse pointer is over.

D.
Dave Triffid
Paul Sprangers
2022-08-05 20:36:26 UTC
I wondered have there ever (Nb.) been any RISC OS apps that incorporated
tooltips?
RISC OS has interactive help, which often does a more comprehensive job
than tooltips. But you have to activate it manually. My favourite is
BubbleHelp, by the way.

Paul
https://riscos.sprie.nl
Chris Newman
2022-08-05 21:41:13 UTC
Post by Paul Sprangers
I wondered have there ever (Nb.) been any RISC OS apps that incorporated
tooltips?
RISC OS has interactive help, which often does a more comprehensive job
than tooltips. But you have to activate it manually. My favourite is
BubbleHelp, by the way.
I use Steve Fryatt's !Float. I used to use Bubble Help but changed for
somereason I cannot now remember. I think it was to do withworking better
on Virtual Acorn.
Chris Newman
Dave
2022-08-06 09:18:54 UTC
Post by Paul Sprangers
I wondered have there ever (Nb.) been any RISC OS apps that
incorporated tooltips?
RISC OS has interactive help, which often does a more comprehensive job
than tooltips. But you have to activate it manually. My favourite is
BubbleHelp, by the way.
Paul
No, no! Having a multi sentence dialogue open whenever... is not conducive
to effective working or sanity. :-(

I only want toolbar button tips, and I want a Tooltip that does the job in
a couple of words.

I used to use BubbleHelp, but I have a vague recollection it wouldn't work
with RISC OS 6.

Dave

Anyone have a link to download Bubblehelp?

Thanks
D.
Dave Triffid
Dave
2022-08-06 09:29:00 UTC
On 06 Aug, ***@triffid.co.uk wrote:

[Snippy]
Post by Dave
Anyone have a link to download Bubblehelp?
Thanks
D.
Don't bother.
I found it on Paul Vigays site and it doesn't work on RISC OS 6.20

Dave
Dave Triffid
Paul Sprangers
2022-08-06 10:10:12 UTC
Post by Dave
No, no! Having a multi sentence dialogue open whenever... is not
conducive to effective working or sanity. :-(
Well, you can always switch if off with a single click on the iconbar icon.
But I agree, tooltips and interactive help are two different species.
Post by Dave
Anyone have a link to download Bubblehelp?
http://www.vigay.com/thirdparty/index.html

Whether it will work on RISC OS 6 is unsure. It doesn't even fully work on
RISC OS 5 on my Pi4: clicking Choices produces an error, for example.
That's a pity, since BubbleHelp used to be the most configurable one of all
its competitors.

Paul
https://riscos.sprie.nl
Dave
2022-08-06 17:53:32 UTC
[Snip]
Post by Paul Sprangers
Post by Dave
Anyone have a link to download Bubblehelp?
http://www.vigay.com/thirdparty/index.html
Whether it will work on RISC OS 6 is unsure. It doesn't even fully work
on RISC OS 5 on my Pi4: clicking Choices produces an error, for example.
That's a pity, since BubbleHelp used to be the most configurable one of
all its competitors.
Paul
As I posted earlier (10:29 AM), it doesn't work on RISC OS 6.20.

Dave

Anyway... Tooltips on RISC OS, just an idle thought. :-)
Dave Triffid
Chris Hughes
2022-08-06 11:21:07 UTC
Post by Dave
Post by Paul Sprangers
I wondered have there ever (Nb.) been any RISC OS apps that
incorporated tooltips?
RISC OS has interactive help, which often does a more comprehensive job
than tooltips. But you have to activate it manually. My favourite is
BubbleHelp, by the way.
Paul
No, no! Having a multi sentence dialogue open whenever... is not conducive
to effective working or sanity. :-(
I only want toolbar button tips, and I want a Tooltip that does the job in
a couple of words.
Well Fireworkz and messenegr pro seem to have tool tips.

It seems it per app basis. ask the programmers.
Chris Hughes
Steve Fryatt
2022-08-06 11:46:13 UTC
On 6 Aug, Chris Hughes wrote in message
Post by Chris Hughes
Well Fireworkz and messenegr pro seem to have tool tips.
It seems it per app basis. ask the programmers.
RISC OS has no support for tooltips. If an application includes them, then
either it's using a library to do it, or its developer has invented their
own wheel from scratch.

Interactive Help is system-wide, and probably the best way to go as it gives
a standard behaviour to users across all applications.
--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/
Dave
2022-08-06 17:50:02 UTC
In article <***@mytardis>,
Chris Hughes <***@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

[Snip]
Well Fireworkz and messenger pro seem to have tool tips.
It seems it per app basis. ask the programmers.
I can only comment on Fireworkz as I don't have the other...

It's not really tooltips, more akin to the usual Acorn !Help constrained
to a status bar...

Dave
--
Dave Triffid