PARI/Gp for RiscOs
Jean-Michel
2023-02-19 16:13:50 UTC
Hello,

I have updated my PARI/GP adaptation for RISC OS
The program is a reworking of the original with an editor using two
TextAreas.

The editor now allows drag and drop and copy/paste.
You can also save the content of TextAreas or a selection.
Plot output on Draw works (with !MkDrawf help)

PARI/GP informations
https://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/tutorials.html

PariGP2132 download
https://jeanmichelb.riscos.fr/MathUk.html

Works on my ARMX6,
I don't know if people are interested in this kind of program, but I find
it makes a great calculator with a precision of more than 100 digits if
necessary... and lots of other things, See the list of functions

Thanks for the testing.
Jean-Michel
Sebastian Barthel
2023-03-11 19:51:00 UTC
Post by Jean-Michel
Hello,
I have updated my PARI/GP adaptation for RISC OS The program is a
reworking of the original with an editor using two TextAreas.
The editor now allows drag and drop and copy/paste.
You can also save the content of TextAreas or a selection.
Plot output on Draw works (with !MkDrawf help)
PARI/GP informations https://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/tutorials.html
PariGP2132 download https://jeanmichelb.riscos.fr/MathUk.html
Works on my ARMX6,
I don't know if people are interested in this kind of program, but I find
it makes a great calculator with a precision of more than 100 digits if
necessary... and lots of other things, See the list of functions
Thanks for the testing.
This program looks very interesting. And it would have been a maximal
cool featured tool in times when the Acorn range of computers where the
primary choice of schools for their computing cabinets.

It seems to have MUCH more functions and tools than derive or matheass
ever had - these were the programs "we" used in the days ... under DOS
and without postscript outputs.

Don't know if there are many mathematicans or math teachers or people
interested in maths with a RISC OS machine today - but if so they all
should have a look at this (at least). Looks very promising.
Jean-Michel
2023-03-13 09:23:42 UTC
Post by Sebastian Barthel
Post by Jean-Michel
[...]
Many thanks, and especially thank you to the Pari/GP team.
Jean-Michel
Richard Ashbery
2023-03-13 14:03:18 UTC
Post by Sebastian Barthel
Post by Jean-Michel
[...]
Agreed. I've had a look at the references but I think it requires a
long learning curve to get the syntax right. A few more examples (like
ploth(x =-2*Pi,2*Pi,sin(x))) would be useful as I'm no mathmatician.
Has anyone got any interesting curve formulae to input into the
program?

As Sebastian pointed out a tool like this would have been useful to
budding mathematicians where many schools used Acorn kit.

Any chance of an English translation for the program help file and
Interactive Help for the tool icons.

The only other program that comes to mind and seems to have some
similarities is Chris Johnson's excellent GraphDraw.

Richard
Harriet Bazley
2023-03-13 18:46:25 UTC
On 13 Mar 2023 as I do recall,
Post by Richard Ashbery
Post by Jean-Michel
Hello,
I have updated my PARI/GP adaptation for RISC OS The program is a
reworking of the original with an editor using two TextAreas.
I tried to run the program for testing purposes and got the error
"Toolbox task(s) active" on AMRX6.
Post by Richard Ashbery
Any chance of an English translation for the program help file and
Interactive Help for the tool icons.
A bit tricky without being able to see the actual software, but it goes
something like this:

----------Basic Help file --------
----------27.05.20 JMB------------

List of commands (which have changed from those in the previous
release):

============Editor============
'Commands' are entered in the upper window. Each command can consist of
multiple lines obtained by using the Enter key, and therefore it is
necessary to click the OK button in order to enter the command. The Tab
key is used as a keyboard shortcut(?)

The editor records the commands entered in a list which can be recalled
using the arrow keys.
Note: all the features of this version of PARI are implemented (even
the bugs...)

For example the % command of Pari can be used:
? 1
%1 = 1
? 2
%2 = 2
? %1+%2
%3 = 3

The editor makes use of two text areas, one for commands and the other
to show results.
You can select/delete/copy from one text area to the other, but
copy/paste as opposed to drag and drop is not yet implemented.
The two pencil/rubber icons delete their respective text areas.

PARI can calculate to an impressive number of significant figures,
Example: Pi (to 28 places)
%5 = 3.141592653589793238462643383
Pi (to 100 places)
%6 = 3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971693993751058209749445923078164062862089986280348253421

PARI cannot perform algebra, but can do a good deal:
Example 1
x=Pi/3;
? cos(x)
%9 = 0.50000000

Example 2 PGCD
? gcd(15,225)
%19 = 15

See the list of functions in the built-in help.

PARI can also execute scripts
? for(x=1,5,print(x!))
1
2
6
24
120

Some examples of curve plotting:

Postscript:
psploth(x=-5,5,sin(x));
psplothraw(vector(501,k,k-1),vector(501,k,(k-1)*(k-1)/500),1);
// parametric curves
psploth(t=0,2*Pi,[sin(5*t),sin(7*t)],1,100);

MkDraw:
mkdploth(x=-5,5,sin(x));
mkdplothraw(vector(501,k,k-1),vector(501,k,(k-1)*(k-1)/500),1);
// parametric curves
mkdploth(t=0,2*Pi,[sin(5*t),sin(7*t)],1,100)
mkdploth(X=0,2*Pi,128+(sin(X)+sin(X*3)+sin(X*5))*128/3)

The PostScript plot instructions begin with "ps" and the Draw plot
instructions with "mkd", but the syntax is otherwise identical.
The drawings are saved in the application directory(?)

The direct "ploth" command is not yet implemented... to be done.

Future features(?)
replace mkdplothxxx commands with corresponding plothxxx commands
Display the plot in a Draw window

Help topics: for a list of relevant subtopics, type ?n for n in
0: user-defined identifiers (variable, alias, function)
1: Standard monadic or dyadic OPERATORS
2: CONVERSIONS and similar elementary functions
3: TRANSCENDENTAL functions
4: NUMBER THEORETICAL functions
5: Functions related to ELLIPTIC CURVES
6: Functions related to general NUMBER FIELDS
7: POLYNOMIALS and power series
8: Vectors, matrices, LINEAR ALGEBRA and sets
9: SUMS, products, integrals and similar functions
10: GRAPHIC functions
11: PROGRAMMING under GP
12: The PARI community

For help about a function type:
?funct_name, with correct spelling in the edit window.

Type ?\ to list keyboard shortcuts.

Conclusion:
Even a user who knows relatively little about such functions, such as
myself, can still use PariGP as an advanced calculator with graphical
output.
--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

The purpose of rules is to make you think before you break them.
Richard Ashbery
2023-03-13 20:17:51 UTC
Post by Harriet Bazley
I tried to run the program for testing purposes and got the error
"Toolbox task(s) active" on AMRX6.
Sorry can't help. I take it you are running the latest OS version. I'm
using RISC OS 5.29 (20-Nov-22) on the ARMx6 from the imx6 download
site.

Many thanks for the information - wow a lot to take in - I'll peruse
it in more detail sometime this week.

Best regards

Richard
Jean-Michel
2023-03-14 08:28:42 UTC
Bonjour Harriet
Post by Harriet Bazley
On 13 Mar 2023 as I do recall,
Post by Harriet Bazley
Post by Jean-Michel
Hello,
I have updated my PARI/GP adaptation for RISC OS The program is a
reworking of the original with an editor using two TextAreas.
A bit tricky without being able to see the actual software, but it goe
Thanks Harriet for your translation, I will add it to the distribution.
I didn't pay attention to the !Help because the Pari/GP site is well
documented in English.

PARI/GP informations:
https://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/tutorials.html

I'm not a mathematician, just a hobbyist and I wanted to be able to do
some calculations with RISC OS, Pari/GP was a good candidate.

To get started with Pari/GP, you would need a "tutorial" with examples, I
did a lot of tests and this could be useful because practically all the
functions mentioned in the reference (button "Réf" ) work.

http://w3.countnumber.de/parigp-ref/function_index.html
Post by Harriet Bazley
Post by Harriet Bazley
The only other program that comes to mind and seems to have some
similarities is Chris Johnson's excellent GraphDraw.
Yes, and this can be a good point of comparison for making a tutorial.
Idem with !2D-Plot, !FnPlotter , !Multiplot....

I will need candidates to test and help for my "Franglais" ...

Harriet
Post by Harriet Bazley
I tried to run the program for testing purposes and got the error
"Toolbox task(s) active" on AMRX6.
The program tries to load a more recent version of the ToolBox module, but
since it is in use, it is impossible.
It's a Toolbox problem, I had to leave it in the !Run file
RMEnsure ToolBox 1.58 RMLOAD System:Modules.Toolbox.toolBox

I don't know what version you have, but with the latest update on my ARMX6
it's version 1.59
Jean-Michel
Harriet Bazley
2023-03-14 10:45:32 UTC
On 14 Mar 2023 as I do recall,
Post by Jean-Michel
Post by Harriet Bazley
I tried to run the program for testing purposes and got the error
"Toolbox task(s) active" on AMRX6.
The program tries to load a more recent version of the ToolBox module, but
since it is in use, it is impossible.
It's a Toolbox problem, I had to leave it in the !Run file
RMEnsure ToolBox 1.58 RMLOAD System:Modules.Toolbox.toolBox
I don't know what version you have, but with the latest update on my ARMX6
it's version 1.59
I have 1.52, apparently - with RISC OS 5.29!
--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

At the cutting edge of technology, one tends to end up bleeding
Jean-Michel
2023-03-14 11:39:54 UTC
Post by Harriet Bazley
On 14 Mar 2023 as I do recall,
Post by Jean-Michel
Post by Harriet Bazley
I tried to run the program for testing purposes and got the error
"Toolbox task(s) active" on AMRX6.
The program tries to load a more recent version of the ToolBox module, but
since it is in use, it is impossible.
It's a Toolbox problem, I had to leave it in the !Run file
RMEnsure ToolBox 1.58 RMLOAD System:Modules.Toolbox.toolBox
I don't know what version you have, but with the latest update on my ARMX6
it's version 1.59
I have 1.52, apparently - with RISC OS 5.29!
Strange, the 1.59 Toolbox module is in the ROM version 5.29 ( 21 Dec 22)
(!Verma)
The module can also be unplug (unplug toolbox utility ?)

I can send you the module to test.

This morning I was able to draw almost all the examples of !2D plots
Examples:
======================================
f(x) = sin(x)+sin(3*x)/3+sin(5*x)/5
Bornes: -9.63,9.63,-1.5,1.5
ploth(x =-9.63, 9.63, f(x) )

f(x) = 3*sin(3*x/2)
ploth(x =-2*Pi, 2*Pi, [f(x) *cos(x), f(x)*sin(x)] ,"Parametric" )
Jean-Michel
druck
2023-03-13 21:23:33 UTC
Post by Sebastian Barthel
Don't know if there are many mathematicans or math teachers or people
interested in maths with a RISC OS machine today - but if so they all
should have a look at this (at least). Looks very promising.
I think my wife was one of the last maths teachers using RISC OS, up to
about 7 years ago using Virtual RPC on MACs. That all stopped as Virtual
Acorn couldn't be bothered updating their product when MAC OS went 64
bit only.

---druck