Thumbnail creator
Dave
2021-12-04 10:23:00 UTC
G'day folks.

I have a number of directories full of Drawfile pictures, are there any
RISC OS apps that'll take a directory of files (Particularly Draw) and
create thumbnails of them?

Thanks
Dave
Dave Triffid
Dave
2021-12-04 10:37:17 UTC
Post by Dave
G'day folks.
I have a number of directories full of Drawfile pictures, are there any
RISC OS apps that'll take a directory of files (Particularly Draw) and
create thumbnails of them?
Thanks
Dave
Oh dear oh dear oh dear! my brain is farting well today.

Just remembered, get a grip David...
I'm usually using RISC OS 6.20 where I can set the Filer-Layout-Display to
Thumbnails.

Unfortunately at the time I was in RISC OS 5.nn which doesn't have that
facility.

Dave

I guess it would still be useful to have an app that created thumbnails
(Drawfiles).

D.
Dave Triffid
Jean-Michel
2021-12-04 11:02:52 UTC
Post by Dave
Post by Dave
G'day folks.
I have a number of directories full of Drawfile pictures, are there any
RISC OS apps that'll take a directory of files (Particularly Draw) and
create thumbnails of them?
Thanks
Dave
Oh dear oh dear oh dear! my brain is farting well today.
Just remembered, get a grip David...
I'm usually using RISC OS 6.20 where I can set the Filer-Layout-Display to
Thumbnails.
Unfortunately at the time I was in RISC OS 5.nn which doesn't have that
facility.
Dave
I guess it would still be useful to have an app that created thumbnails
(Drawfiles).
D.
!PhotoFiler adds "thumbnailing" of pictures to the RISC OS Filer.

works fine!
Jean-Michel
Steve Fryatt
2021-12-04 11:12:15 UTC
There's always http://www.davespace.co.uk/risc.os/photofiler.html
--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/
Harriet Bazley
2021-12-04 15:46:07 UTC
On 4 Dec 2021 as I do recall,
Dave wrote:

[snip]
I still have a vague thought about a RISC OS app that would take a dir of
images and create thumbnails of the Dir contents.
!Thump will do this (in addition to allowing you to create an internal
database with image captions and keywords to assist in searching; I
used to use that a lot, but nowadays I just use the app to let me skim
through and select images off the camera card before processing the
chosen ones in Variations).

It is mainly a real-time thumbnail display, but allows you to save the
current window contents as a Draw or Sprite file.

http://www.users.on.net/~belles/software/thump/

On the A5000 I used to use PickAPic as a dedicated app to create
catalogues of images in Drawfile format, but I don't know if that can be
induced to work on later versions of the Wimp; a quick test fails
because the Obey file can't locate the various Computer Concepts
rendering modules, although the !RunImage is in BASIC.
--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
Dave
2021-12-05 11:41:31 UTC
Post by Harriet Bazley
On 4 Dec 2021 as I do recall,
[...]
Thanks Harriet, will download and have a play later.

Dave
Dave Triffid
Jean-Michel
2021-12-04 18:26:08 UTC
Post by Steve Fryatt
On 4 Dec, Dave wrote in message
Just remembered, get a grip David... I'm usually using RISC OS 6.20
where I can set the Filer-Layout-Display to Thumbnails.
Unfortunately at the time I was in RISC OS 5.nn which doesn't have that
facility.
There's always http://www.davespace.co.uk/risc.os/photofiler.html
Yes indeed, I've downloaded that and next time I'm in RISC OS 5.29 I'll
install it.
I still have a vague thought about a RISC OS app that would take a dir of
images and create thumbnails of the Dir contents.
!EasyClip from RCOMP (PlingStore) allows you to catalogue your photos,
clepart, etc
Thanks
Dave
Jean-Michel
Stuart
2021-12-06 08:58:52 UTC
Yes indeed, I've downloaded that and next time I'm in RISC OS 5.29 I'll
install it.
I still have a vague thought about a RISC OS app that would take a dir of
images and create thumbnails of the Dir contents.
Mr.Clippy?

There was also an app by John Williams for cataloguing images in HTML
format
--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/
Steve Fryatt
2021-12-06 09:25:26 UTC
On 6 Dec, Stuart wrote in message
Post by Stuart
I still have a vague thought about a RISC OS app that would take a dir
of images and create thumbnails of the Dir contents.
Mr.Clippy?
If you already have a copy. The iSV software collection has all gone the way
of the ADPL archive website and I don't think the free licence allowed for
third-party distribution.
Post by Stuart
There was also an app by John Williams for cataloguing images in HTML
format
http://petit.four.free.fr/picindex/main.php

It only works on JPEGs, AFAIK, and Dave's requirement (as originally stated)
was for drawfiles.
--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/
Dave
2021-12-06 16:13:00 UTC
Post by Stuart
There was also an app by John Williams for cataloguing images in HTML
format
http://petit.four.free.fr/picindex/main.php
It only works on JPEGs, AFAIK, and Dave's requirement (as originally
stated) was for drawfiles.
Indeed Steve, directories loaded with old Drawfiles.

I did try PicIndex, but as you note, Drawfiles are not accepted.

Harriet noted "Thump" which I've downloaded and done a trial run with, and
it seems to do the job I need, so that along with the RISC OS 6.20 filer
will make my job easier.

However, the suggestion of Mr Clippy set me looking...

Back in the days I purchased a number of apps from "isv products" like
DrawWorks and others, and on the CDs Mr Clippy resides, but how do I get
stuff off those CDs now and into this VRPC?

Win side the CDs play okay, but obviously just dragging Dirs into VRPC
doesn't work as all the filetypes are wrong.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks
Dave
Dave Triffid
druck
2021-12-06 16:54:39 UTC
Post by Dave
Back in the days I purchased a number of apps from "isv products" like
DrawWorks and others, and on the CDs Mr Clippy resides, but how do I get
stuff off those CDs now and into this VRPC?
Win side the CDs play okay, but obviously just dragging Dirs into VRPC
doesn't work as all the filetypes are wrong.
Any thoughts please?
I'm sure VRPC had CDFS support at one stage, but if you have to go via
HostFS and can't find a copy in a archive, you'll have to manually set
the file types. Its not too hard to work out what they should be in most
cases by looking at other applications. Talking of cases, you'll
probably want to rename everything from ugly uppercase.

---druck
Dave
2021-12-06 19:11:07 UTC
Post by druck
Post by Dave
Back in the days I purchased a number of apps from "isv products" like
DrawWorks and others, and on the CDs Mr Clippy resides, but how do I get
stuff off those CDs now and into this VRPC?
Win side the CDs play okay, but obviously just dragging Dirs into VRPC
doesn't work as all the filetypes are wrong.
Any thoughts please?
I'm sure VRPC had CDFS support at one stage, but if you have to go via
HostFS and can't find a copy in a archive, you'll have to manually set
the file types. Its not too hard to work out what they should be in most
cases by looking at other applications. Talking of cases, you'll
probably want to rename everything from ugly uppercase.
---druck
Back in the days yes, but it doesn't work now and I don't know why.

I have a CD icon on the bar, clicking it presents "Soft-Load driver not
present".

In Menu info is says... "No CD-ROM drive present".

There obviously is one on the PC side as I can access it and the files
with a Drive E mount.

Obviously no good to man nor beast as they are all incorrectly filetyped.

FWIW. I've just run Verma and it shows a number of CD related modules,
like CDFS, CDFS Filer, and others and they are all active.

?
Dave
Dave Triffid
Dave
2021-12-06 19:20:50 UTC
Post by Dave
Post by druck
Post by Dave
[...]
Just looked in the VRPC user manual, it writes:

"Reading CD ROMS

VirtualRPC-DL can read Acorn format (and PC formatted) CDs provided that
you are logged into your computer using an Administrator account. To read
a CD simply place your CD into your PCs CD/DVD drive, close the front of
the drive and click on the RISC OS CD ROM icon (at the far left of the
RISC OS icon bar). If your PC has more than one CD drive (for example a
DVD drive and a CD Writer) then put your Acorn format CD into the drive
with the lowest drive letter. This can be found my clicking on the
Computer icon from the Windows desktop. You can then see all the drives
attached to your machine and their drive letters.

You can even use RISC OS to control the tracks playing on a music CD if
you want to."

But it doesn't...

?

Dave
Dave Triffid
druck
2021-12-06 21:21:13 UTC
Post by Dave
Post by druck
[...]
Oh I remember now, it needed a DLL to work which needed updating due
changes in Windows. Unfortunately Aaron didn't feel like spending the
any of the considerable amount of money he made from VRPC, on
maintaining the product.

---druck
Steve Fryatt
2021-12-06 22:36:15 UTC
On 6 Dec, druck wrote in message
Post by druck
Oh I remember now, it needed a DLL to work which needed updating due
changes in Windows. Unfortunately Aaron didn't feel like spending the any
of the considerable amount of money he made from VRPC, on maintaining the
product.
I suppose it's a case of grabbing an ISO of the CD and passing it to CDFaker
on the RISC OS side, then?

https://forums.jaspp.org.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=26
--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/
Dave
2021-12-07 08:59:27 UTC
Post by druck
Post by Dave
Post by druck
[...]
Ah!... But the same problem exists on RPCEmu running any OS version,
including 5.2nn

In light of this little difficulty I'm beginning to remember things.

Because at some point when VRPC CD drive stopped working I relied on my
very old SARPC which had a CD drive in it to get things from RISC OS
CDs... And now while the SARPC is still working the CD drive itself gave
up the ghost a couple of years ago.

Option 1:
Contact CJE and see if they can supply a CD drive that'll work in a SARPC.

Option 2: Make an iso of the CD Win side and use CDFaker to view on RISC
OS, but that seems a pointless exercise as the filetypes when in iso will
still be wrong. (I could be in error) :-)

Option 3: Forget about the whole thing... Do an Alt + Return and get on
with some useful work PC side. }:/

Dave
Dave Triffid
Steve Fryatt
2021-12-07 09:22:20 UTC
On 7 Dec, Dave wrote in message
Post by Dave
Option 2: Make an iso of the CD Win side and use CDFaker to view on RISC
OS, but that seems a pointless exercise as the filetypes when in iso will
still be wrong. (I could be in error) :-)
Why would they be wrong?

You would be decoding the CD's contents on the RISC OS side, not the Windows
side, so the filetypes should get picked up in the usual way. That's why it
was suggested as an possible solution.
--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/
Dave
2021-12-07 09:56:09 UTC
[Snip]
Post by Dave
Post by druck
[...]
Just for a bit of mental exercise I thought I'd try option 2.
And I was in ERROR!

With CD already in drive...
Went PC side and ran Ashampoo Burning Studio, it didn't like the APDL CD
and presented a long error list.

Removed CD from drive and ran Ashampoo first, then put the CD in the
drive, this time it was okay with the CD and proceeded to create the .iso
file.

Brought the iso RISC OS side, ran CDFaker followed by a lot of Bob the
builder expletives...

Not out of anger or whatever, but seriously suprised as the damn thing
worked and the files came out with the files displayed with the correct
filetypes.

Mr Clippy sort if works, but is not really suitable for my project.

Thanks for the input folks, it was an interesting exercise... I'm done, so
it's back to work. :-)

Dave
Dave Triffid
Dave
2021-12-08 12:14:44 UTC
In article <***@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave <***@triffid.co.uk> wrote:
[Snippy]
Post by Dave
Thanks for the input folks, it was an interesting exercise... I'm done,
so it's back to work. :-)
Please... I have a question about the app "Thump".

Now it's configured how I want it, thumbs does the business for me, there
is however one small annoyance and I'm wondering what it means.

From the menu within a Thump display window, "Menu > Viewer > Save As"
Either Sprite, Drawfile or text list, presents the following error. (Not
picked up by Reporter BTW).

"Message block is to big or not a multiple of 4"

However despite throwing up the error, it does seem to save the file.

The same happens if the Thump Toolbar saves are used.

VRPC-DL RISC OS 6.20
Thump version 1.56 (A15) June 6 2020.

Thanks
Dave
Dave Triffid
Dave
2021-12-08 16:36:30 UTC
Post by Dave
Please... I have a question about the app "Thump".
From the menu within a Thump display window, "Menu > Viewer > Save
As" Either Sprite, Drawfile or text list, presents the following
error.
"Message block is to big or not a multiple of 4"
Strange. I have tried it here, with v1.56 (a15) on this Titanium
running RO5.29, and there were no messages. Can you try it on other OS
versions?
Note that message text does not seem to be contained in the Thump
!RunImage, its Messages, or MessageTrans. I wonder where it came from?
Post by Dave
(Not picked up by Reporter BTW).
That is also strange. If a RISC OS error was raised, I am pretty sure
Reporter would show it. Are you sure it was a normal error box? Was an
application shown?
Post by Dave
However despite throwing up the error, it does seem to save the file.
Perhaps Thump handled it and then carried on.
Have you tried running !Thump.!RunDebug and seeing if that shows
anything?
Post by Dave
The same happens if the Thump Toolbar saves are used.
VRPC-DL RISC OS 6.20
Thump version 1.56 (A15) June 6 2020.
If no other suggestions, you could try contacting Chris Martin.
Hi Martin,
Thanks for the thoughts, now for some testing and visible results.

The test directory contains 7 drawfiles.

Dropped on Thump's icon bar icon, it opens an images display of the files.

In the toolbar select "Save as Sprite" opens a Save dialogue.
Name the file and drag and drop to the destination directory, this sets a
path and saves the spritefile okay.

Now, In the toolbar again select "Save as Sprite" opens a Save dialogue
obviously with the path set.

This time after file naming click the OK. (Not D&D).

"Message from Thump"
"Message block is to big or not a multiple of 4"

Reporter shows nothing.

The RunDebug shows nothing apart from the Filepath that was initiall set.

http://www.triffid.co.uk/dstuff/Thumptest.zip contains two grabbed
images, The first shows the filepath and name is set, the second shows a
Message from Thump.

Thanks
Dave

Later if nothing crops up here I'll contact Chris, assuming his address in
the Help is still okay.
D.
Dave Triffid
Dave
2021-12-08 16:55:47 UTC
In article <***@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave <***@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

[Snip]
Post by Dave
[...]
Hi again Martin,
I've had time to try this on VRPC-DL RISC OS 4.39 and RPCEmu 0.9.4 running
ROD RISC OS 5.28 and in both cases the Message from Thump error is
generated.

Dave
Dave Triffid
Dave
2021-12-09 06:33:14 UTC
Post by Dave
I've had time to try this on VRPC-DL RISC OS 4.39 and RPCEmu 0.9.4 running
ROD RISC OS 5.28 and in both cases the Message from Thump error is
generated.
I seem to remember this error coming up before on VRPC, but not on real
RISC OS machines.
---druck
Aha! I still have a working real hardware SARPC, I'll do a bit o' testing
on that today (Thurs) when I've done my work.

Thanks for the thought.

Dave
Dave Triffid
Dave
2021-12-09 08:14:11 UTC
Post by Dave
I've had time to try this on VRPC-DL RISC OS 4.39 and RPCEmu 0.9.4
running ROD RISC OS 5.28 and in both cases the Message from Thump
error is generated.
I seem to remember this error coming up before on VRPC, but not on
real RISC OS machines.
---druck
Aha! I still have a working real hardware SARPC, I'll do a bit o' testing
on that today (Thurs) when I've done my work.
Thanks for the thought.
Dave
Wound up the real SARPC, RISC OS 6.20 and did a few tests with Thump.

Directory with a few Drawfiles, same processes as before, failed with the
same error message.

Directory with a few sprites and Jpegs, same processes as before, failed
with the same error message.

So the process has been tried on:
VRPC-DL, RPCEmu installs and a Real hardware RISC OS machine.

OS version:
5.28, 6.20, 4.39, and 4.02 where the end result is error.

Oh yes I forgot, tested on Fay's VRPC-Adjust SA, RISC OS 4.39 It errored.

Dave

Yesterday I wrote up my notes and posted to Chris Martin, assuming the
address given in the !Help is active.

D.
Dave Triffid
Martin
2021-12-08 17:43:38 UTC
Post by Dave
Thanks for the thoughts, now for some testing and visible results.
The test directory contains 7 drawfiles. Dropped on Thump's icon
bar icon, it opens an images display of the files.
In the toolbar select "Save as Sprite" opens a Save dialogue. Name
the file and drag and drop to the destination directory, this sets
a path and saves the spritefile okay.
Now, In the toolbar again select "Save as Sprite" opens a Save
dialogue obviously with the path set.
This time after file naming click the OK. (Not D&D).
"Message from Thump"
"Message block is to big or not a multiple of 4"
And when I replicated that on RO5.29 ...
I got the same! (or very nearly).

My message was "Message block is too big / not a multiple of 4"
which is the BadMessageSize message in Resources.Wimp.Messages.
I suspect the version in RO6 must have "or" instead of "/".
Post by Dave
Reporter shows nothing.
That is because it is a message window produced by Thump, not an error
box, so no error can have been raised.
Post by Dave
Later if nothing crops up here I'll contact Chris, assuming his
address in the Help is still okay.
I think that is your best bet - seems something associated with
handling Drawfiles upsets the Wimp somehow! Does not seem to matter
how it is saved, or on Text, Sprite or Drawfile.

When I tried it before I had a directory containing jpegs, whic worked
ok.
--
Martin Avison
Note that unfortunately this email address will become invalid
without notice if (when) any spam is received.
Dave
2021-12-08 19:50:03 UTC
[Snip]
Post by Martin
Post by Dave
Later if nothing crops up here I'll contact Chris, assuming his
address in the Help is still okay.
I think that is your best bet - seems something associated with
handling Drawfiles upsets the Wimp somehow! Does not seem to matter
how it is saved, or on Text, Sprite or Drawfile.
When I tried it before I had a directory containing jpegs, whic worked
ok.
Well interesting things...

As you will have noted from a follow up posting Thump on 6.20, 4.39 and
5.28 all present the same problem.

To test out your above paragraph...

Here it doesn't matter if the files are Drawfiles, Sprites or Jpegs, the
error remains.

It's not a failure as such, for despite the error message the output is
still save okay.

And of course the D&D doesn't error.

Dave

Will contact him later.
D.
Dave Triffid
druck
2021-12-07 21:18:21 UTC
Post by Dave
Option 2: Make an iso of the CD Win side and use CDFaker to view on RISC
OS, but that seems a pointless exercise as the filetypes when in iso will
still be wrong. (I could be in error) :-)
No, that should work, as long as whatever you use to make the iso on
Windows is an exact copy, as it will then contain the additional
filetype information which CDFaker will use.

---druck
Dave
2021-12-06 18:58:01 UTC
Post by Dave
Back in the days I purchased a number of apps from "isv products"
like DrawWorks and others, and on the CDs Mr Clippy resides, but how
do I get stuff off those CDs now and into this VRPC?
Win side the CDs play okay, but obviously just dragging Dirs into
VRPC doesn't work as all the filetypes are wrong.
Turn them into ZIP files with sparkFS
Alan
Really... How can that be done?

Dave
Dave Triffid
Steve Fryatt
2021-12-06 22:39:57 UTC
On 6 Dec, Dave wrote in message
Post by Dave
Turn them into ZIP files with sparkFS Alan
Really... How can that be done?
It can't; or, at least, not to solve the problem that you're trying to
solve.

As noted elsewhere, if you can't do it via VRPC, I think your only option is
to rip the ISOs from the discs and use CDFaker on RISC OS to make them look
like a real CD ROM.
--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/
Alan Griffin
2021-12-06 23:07:12 UTC
Post by Dave
Turn them into ZIP files with sparkFS
Alan
Really... How can that be done?
Oh Sorry. You'reading them on Windows!
Find someone who can read them on a RISC OS machine, and get them to
put them all into a Zip file, and put on your disc.
When you drag the Zip file on to the VRPC they will have the correct
filetypes.

Alan
John Williams (News)
2021-12-19 12:24:34 UTC
Post by Stuart
There was also an app by John Williams for cataloguing images in HTML
format
- which used ChangeFSI to do this.

And still does:

http://petit.four.free.fr/picindex/index.php

John
Harriet Bazley
2021-12-10 11:50:38 UTC
On 10 Dec 2021 as I do recall,
Had a note from Chris M, he can reproduce the behaviour, and will have a
delve into the code.
Excellent!
--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

A hangover is the wrath of grapes.
Dave
2021-12-20 19:51:07 UTC
Had a note from Chris M, he can reproduce the behaviour, and will have a
delve into the code.
Dave
Update for anyone interested.

Chris contacted me earlier this evening...

Noting... "I have uploaded version 1.56 alpha 17. This should fix the
problem."

I've downloaded and tested, and it does indeed fix the Save problem.

Dave
Dave Triffid
Harriet Bazley
2021-12-20 22:46:11 UTC
On 20 Dec 2021 as I do recall,
Thump does not show PNG thumbnails, instead it displays the filename and a
big Red Pling (!).
I understand from the !!!ReadMe it needs the !Spr2Png app.
I have both the !Spr2Png app and inside it the png2spr both of which are
very recent downloads.
In "Configuration-Boot-Look at" I have a path entry so it is seen by the
filer early in the Boot sequence.
But Thump will still not display PNGs.
Any thoughts why?
No, but I do remember having trouble with this (I never had enough PNGs
to make it worth getting to the bottom of). What happens if you
actually run !Spr2Png before using Thump?
--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

Cole's Law: Thinly sliced cabbage.
Dave
2021-12-21 06:17:21 UTC
Post by Harriet Bazley
On 20 Dec 2021 as I do recall,
Thump does not show PNG thumbnails, instead it displays the filename
and a big Red Pling (!).
I understand from the !!!ReadMe it needs the !Spr2Png app.
I have both the !Spr2Png app and inside it the png2spr both of which
are very recent downloads.
In "Configuration-Boot-Look at" I have a path entry so it is seen by
the filer early in the Boot sequence.
But Thump will still not display PNGs.
Any thoughts why?
No, but I do remember having trouble with this (I never had enough PNGs
to make it worth getting to the bottom of). What happens if you
actually run !Spr2Png before using Thump?
Well, I tried that yesterday before posting the above...

No change, still a big red Pling (!)

Maybe I'll ask Chris and see what his thoughts are. :-)

Thanks for the thought anyway. :-)

Dave
Dave Triffid
Dave
2021-12-24 21:45:20 UTC
In article <***@triffid.co.uk>,
Dave <***@triffid.co.uk> wrote:

[Snip]
Oh, I guess you'd like to know what was wrong.
I have a small RAMDisc configured (6Mb) as a place to put a few temporary
bit's 'n bobs when I'm working.
This was totally inadequate when used by Thump for Scrap storage, so
when I increased the RAMdisk size to 64Mb, thereafter PNG files
displayed okay.
Dave
A footnote.
Went through a few versions of RISC OS on both VRPC-DL and RPCEmu and the
results are as follows.

VRPC-DL versions, small Ramdisk Thump PNG thumbnails fail.
VRPC-DL versions, large Ramdisk Thump PNG thumbnails display correctly.

RPCEmu Versions, small Ramdisk Thump PNG thumbnails fail.
RPCEmu Versions, large Ramdisk Thump PNG thumbnails display correctly.

Dave
--
Dave Triffid