New prog: Game of Life
Paul Sprangers
2021-12-16 17:31:37 UTC
Dear all again,

At the risk that everyone will yawn, I herewith announce another update of
the Game of Life, version 1.14.

What is new?
I've abandoned the idea of plotting Selwyn characters to draw the grid, and
now use the LINE, RECTANGLE and CIRCLE commands instead. Not only cause
these a performance increase of 30% (to my surprise, actually), they also
draw a new large grid at the blink of an eye, rather than the seconds on
previous versions. The whole program is much more responsive now.
And there's a number of bug fixes and little improvements that can be found
in the History file.

What is old?
Other bugs remain, particularly the strange traces in some combinations of
cell size and screen mode. Not as many as in previous versions, but they
haven't yet all disappeared.

Download from www.riscos.sprie.nl/sprang.riscos/Downloads/GoL.zip

Kind regards,
Paul
http://www.riscos.sprie.nl
Sniffer
2021-12-16 20:27:12 UTC
Post by Paul Sprangers
Dear all again,
At the risk that everyone will yawn, I herewith announce another update of
the Game of Life, version 1.14.
Not yawning but, there is c.s.a.announce for, bizarrely, announcements :-)

FYI, on a separate note, each time you post 'New prog: Game of Life'
here, you are actually creating a new thread, as opposed to posting on
your original thread. This causes havoc with threaded displays.

Cheers,
Mike.
Paul Sprangers
2021-12-16 21:57:40 UTC
Post by Sniffer
FYI, on a separate note, each time you post 'New prog: Game of Life'
here, you are actually creating a new thread, as opposed to posting on
your original thread. This causes havoc with threaded displays.
Really? That's not what I see here. All postings are grouped within the
same single thread. As I understand things, I would have started a new
thread when announcing something on comp.sys.announce - and I don't want to
abuse that one for minor updates only. But maybe I just don't understand
things (an increasing problem, by the way).

Kind regards,
Paul
http://www.riscos.sprie.nl
Sniffer
2021-12-17 09:36:51 UTC
Post by Paul Sprangers
Post by Sniffer
FYI, on a separate note, each time you post 'New prog: Game of Life'
here, you are actually creating a new thread, as opposed to posting on
your original thread. This causes havoc with threaded displays.
Really? That's not what I see here. All postings are grouped within the
same single thread.
Interesting, not here. Latterly your posts of updates have been
appearing in their own thread. I need to see what's going wrong at my
end as I have been following with interest.
Post by Paul Sprangers
As I understand things, I would have started a new
thread when announcing something on comp.sys.announce - and I don't want to
abuse that one for minor updates only.
But that's what it's for. Pretty much single thread announcements, but I
guess, it's only etiquette.

Cheers,
Mike.
Paul Sprangers
2021-12-17 10:02:59 UTC
Post by Sniffer
Latterly your posts of updates have been
appearing in their own thread. I need to see what's going wrong at my
end as I have been following with interest.
I don't think there's anything wrong at either side. You seem to use
Thunderbird on Windows for accessing the news groups, while I use Pluto on
RISC OS. I guess both systems have their own defaults of displaying and
grouping threads and posts - defaults that probably may be user adjusted...

Kind regards,
Paul
http://www.riscos.sprie.nl
Sniffer
2021-12-17 10:34:37 UTC
Post by Paul Sprangers
Post by Sniffer
Latterly your posts of updates have been
appearing in their own thread. I need to see what's going wrong at my
end as I have been following with interest.
I don't think there's anything wrong at either side. You seem to use
Thunderbird on Windows for accessing the news groups, while I use Pluto on
RISC OS. I guess both systems have their own defaults of displaying and
grouping threads and posts - defaults that probably may be user adjusted...
Yes we use different clients, that can be seen in the headers and yes,
those clients may behave differently but, even using Google Groups
(which c.s.a.apps belongs to) to display postings shows separate threads
for 'Re: New prog: Game of Life'.

Adding to this confusion for me is that I don't see your original post
anywhere other than being referenced in the first reply by Sebastian
Barthel.

Hey Ho! No big deal. :-)

Cheers,
Mike.
Paul Sprangers
2021-12-18 11:36:36 UTC
even using Google Groups (which c.s.a.apps belongs to) to display
postings shows separate threads for 'Re: New prog: Game of Life'.
I think it's my fault after all. Sometimes I've announced an update by
clicking on the thread, rather than replying to someone in that thread.
Although Pluto understands that I'm still in the same thread, Google
apparently thinks that I'm making a new one. For future announcements I
will always reply to someone.

Kind regards,
Paul
--