Iris Browser
s***@btinternet.com
2021-12-05 11:47:29 UTC
Thought I'd download the new Iris browser for RISC OS but find it does
not work on v4.39. So can I simply upgrade to RISC OS 5 and if so where
from?
RISC OS 5 only I think it is. Same for Otter-browser and QupZilla.
Sad as I didn't know it only worked on RISC OS 5
s***@btinternet.com
2021-12-05 12:11:45 UTC
Thought I'd download the new Iris browser for RISC OS but find it does
not work on v4.39.
If you are running 4.39 then you are using a machine that is too old and
slow to run Iris.
So can I simply upgrade to RISC OS 5 and if so where from?
And RO5 would be a downgrade on that machine.
Bryan.
Thanks for letting me know it doesn't work on RISC OS 5, I could not see
anywhere on reading about Iris that it only worked on RISC OS 5 even on
the https://www.riscosdev.com/ website nor on PlingStore.

Disappointingly I have waisted money on a purchase due to lack of
information and unlikely to get a refund and if that is the case at
least I have supported development for the £49.00.

Regards

Stephen

s***@btinternet.com
2021-12-05 18:30:14 UTC
Post by s***@btinternet.com
Thought I'd download the new Iris browser for RISC OS but find it does
not work on v4.39.
If you are running 4.39 then you are using a machine that is too old and
slow to run Iris.
So can I simply upgrade to RISC OS 5 and if so where from?
And RO5 would be a downgrade on that machine.
Bryan.
Thanks for letting me know it doesn't work on RISC OS 5, I could not see
anywhere on reading about Iris that it only worked on RISC OS 5 even on
the https://www.riscosdev.com/ website nor on PlingStore.
Disappointingly I have waisted money on a purchase due to lack of
information and unlikely to get a refund and if that is the case at
least I have supported development for the £49.00.
Iris does work on RISC OS 5, Iris is much more modern web browser and
needs lots of memory and as fast a processor ideally as possible.
You could always get yourself a Raspberry Pi 4 which of course can run
RISC OS 5 and Iris.
Is there a special reason why you are still with RISC OS 4.39 ?
I tried 5 on this RPC and didn't like it. Given an RPC is going to have
limitions anyway, 4.39 is OK with it.
-
I am wondering if Rcomp can help supply a suitable computer as their
website shows various options that look appealing?
However I can't work out witch on their site would be the fastest
machine for me.
Any recommendations?

Stephen

Paul Sprangers
2021-12-05 19:07:37 UTC
Post by s***@btinternet.com
I am wondering if Rcomp can help supply a suitable computer as their
website shows various options that look appealing? However I can't work
out witch on their site would be the fastest machine for me. Any
recommendations?
As far as I know, their 4té is currently the fastest. And if not, it's
still amazingly bloody fast. I bought one, so I speak from experience.

Kind regards,
Paul
http://www.riscos.sprie.nl
s***@btinternet.com
2021-12-06 18:57:05 UTC
Post by Paul Sprangers
Post by s***@btinternet.com
I am wondering if Rcomp can help supply a suitable computer as their
website shows various options that look appealing? However I can't work
out witch on their site would be the fastest machine for me. Any
recommendations?
As far as I know, their 4té is currently the fastest. And if not, it's
still amazingly bloody fast. I bought one, so I speak from experience.
Kind regards,
Paul
I have been comparing the 4té and the FOURTress but can't make my mind
up.

Kevin Wells
2021-12-06 22:43:01 UTC
Post by s***@btinternet.com
Post by Paul Sprangers
Post by s***@btinternet.com
I am wondering if Rcomp can help supply a suitable computer as their
website shows various options that look appealing? However I can't work
out witch on their site would be the fastest machine for me. Any
recommendations?
As far as I know, their 4té is currently the fastest. And if not, it's
still amazingly bloody fast. I bought one, so I speak from experience.
Kind regards,
Paul
I have been comparing the 4té and the FOURTress but can't make my mind
up.
Toss a coin.
--
Kev Wells
http://kevsoft.co.uk/ https://ko-fi.com/kevsoft
But it's " Thin red line of 'eroes " when the drums begin to roll
Stuart
2021-12-07 08:46:16 UTC
Post by s***@btinternet.com
Post by Paul Sprangers
Post by s***@btinternet.com
I am wondering if Rcomp can help supply a suitable computer as their
website shows various options that look appealing? However I can't work
out witch on their site would be the fastest machine for me. Any
recommendations?
As far as I know, their 4té is currently the fastest. And if not, it's
still amazingly bloody fast. I bought one, so I speak from experience.
Kind regards,
Paul
I have been comparing the 4té and the FOURTress but can't make my mind
up.
Personally I went for the Fourtress because it was less expensive, better
specified and looked better
--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/
Richard Ashbery
2021-12-07 12:42:28 UTC
Post by Stuart
Post by s***@btinternet.com
I have been comparing the 4té and the FOURTress but can't make my
mind up.
Personally I went for the Fourtress because it was less expensive,
better specified and looked better
Sorry this is nothing to do with Iris but I notice the Fourtress has 2
full sized HDMI ports - can the Raspberry Pi inside drive 2 separate
monitors (or one monitor and an overhead projector) under RISC OS?

Richard
Chris Hughes
2021-12-07 13:38:54 UTC
Post by Richard Ashbery
Post by Stuart
Post by s***@btinternet.com
I have been comparing the 4té and the FOURTress but can't make my
mind up.
Personally I went for the Fourtress because it was less expensive,
better specified and looked better
Sorry this is nothing to do with Iris but I notice the Fourtress has 2
full sized HDMI ports - can the Raspberry Pi inside drive 2 separate
monitors (or one monitor and an overhead projector) under RISC OS?
I don't think so, at least not with RISC OS at this time.
Chris Hughes
Richard Ashbery
2021-12-07 15:30:11 UTC
Post by Chris Hughes
Post by Richard Ashbery
Post by Stuart
Post by s***@btinternet.com
I have been comparing the 4té and the FOURTress but can't make
my mind up.
Personally I went for the Fourtress because it was less
expensive, better specified and looked better
Sorry this is nothing to do with Iris but I notice the Fourtress
has 2 full sized HDMI ports - can the Raspberry Pi inside drive 2
separate monitors (or one monitor and an overhead projector)
under RISC OS?
I don't think so, at least not with RISC OS at this time.
That's a shame but thanks for getting back Chris. It would save me
from having to use a separate splitter box.

Richard
Rob Heaton
2021-12-06 22:04:43 UTC
Post by s***@btinternet.com
Post by Paul Sprangers
Post by s***@btinternet.com
I am wondering if Rcomp can help supply a suitable computer as their
website shows various options that look appealing? However I can't work
out witch on their site would be the fastest machine for me. Any
recommendations?
As far as I know, their 4té is currently the fastest. And if not, it's
still amazingly bloody fast. I bought one, so I speak from experience.
Kind regards,
Paul
I have been comparing the 4té and the FOURTress but can't make my mind
up.
I don't have any experience with the 4té, but I can certainly recommend
the FOURTress, also I've found the support from RISCOSbits first class.
Rob Heaton
s***@btinternet.com
2021-12-07 19:47:13 UTC
Post by Rob Heaton
Post by s***@btinternet.com
Post by Paul Sprangers
Post by s***@btinternet.com
I am wondering if Rcomp can help supply a suitable computer as their
website shows various options that look appealing? However I can't work
out witch on their site would be the fastest machine for me. Any
recommendations?
As far as I know, their 4té is currently the fastest. And if not, it's
still amazingly bloody fast. I bought one, so I speak from experience.
Kind regards,
Paul
I have been comparing the 4té and the FOURTress but can't make my mind
up.
I don't have any experience with the 4té, but I can certainly recommend
the FOURTress, also I've found the support from RISCOSbits first class.
I have decided to go for the FOURTress

Stuart
2021-12-05 21:48:59 UTC
Post by s***@btinternet.com
I am wondering if Rcomp can help supply a suitable computer as their
website shows various options that look appealing?
However I can't work out witch on their site would be the fastest
machine for me.
Any recommendations?
https://www.riscosbits.co.uk/computers.htm

I have a FOURTress

http://www.twam.co.uk/
s***@btinternet.com
2021-12-06 18:57:41 UTC
Post by Stuart
Post by s***@btinternet.com
I am wondering if Rcomp can help supply a suitable computer as their
website shows various options that look appealing?
However I can't work out witch on their site would be the fastest
machine for me.
Any recommendations?
https://www.riscosbits.co.uk/computers.htm
I have a FOURTress
Looks promising thanks.

s***@btinternet.com
2021-12-05 17:59:44 UTC
Post by s***@btinternet.com
[...]
I use Virtual Acorn on a laptop with 4.39 and not aware of another OS
working on it.
Does a pi offer a similar setup as I thought it was just a box that
allows RISC OS to work in it?

Stephen
druck
2021-12-06 21:14:58 UTC
Post by s***@btinternet.com
I use Virtual Acorn on a laptop with 4.39 and not aware of another OS
working on it.
In which case you don't need Iris, use the one of the many browsers
which run on your machine's native OS.
Post by s***@btinternet.com
Does a pi offer a similar setup as I thought it was just a box that
allows RISC OS to work in it?
A Pi allows you to run RISC OS without having to spend 90% of your time
looking after the OS needed to run Virtual Acorn.

---druck
s***@btinternet.com

Theo
2021-12-05 22:06:30 UTC
Post by s***@btinternet.com
Thanks for letting me know it doesn't work on RISC OS 5, I could not see
anywhere on reading about Iris that it only worked on RISC OS 5 even on
the https://www.riscosdev.com/ website nor on PlingStore.
I don't think it's restricted to RISC OS 5 per se, but I believe it's
compiled with VFP which is only available on machines from the last 15 years
or so - and those machines all happen to require RISC OS 5.
Post by s***@btinternet.com
Disappointingly I have waisted money on a purchase due to lack of
information and unlikely to get a refund and if that is the case at
least I have supported development for the £49.00.
You could always ask Andrew from RComp, as I'm sure he would be
understanding.

Theo
s***@btinternet.com
2021-12-06 18:59:51 UTC
Post by s***@btinternet.com
Disappointingly I have waisted money on a purchase due to lack of
information and unlikely to get a refund and if that is the case at
least I have supported development for the £49.00.
You could always ask Andrew from RComp, as I'm sure he would be
understanding.
Theo
I've decided to purchase one of the pre mentioned machines after
Christmas, just need to decide, so I'll keep Iris as I'll need it on the
new machine.

Bryan Hogan
2021-12-07 03:40:56 UTC
I have an install of RPCEmu 0.9.4 on this PC, and that runs RISC OS 5.2n
(5.29) at a satisfactory speed.
Yes but it still won't run Iris because, as the name suggests, it is
emulating a RiscPC! At best that will be a StrongARM emulation, which will
lack VFP, Thumb, and probably other processor features that Iris needs.

As others have suggested, the 4te or FOURtress are the fastest RO systems
at the moment, with the latter being particularly good value. (And tiny!
Great if you're short of desk space)

Bryan.
--
RISC OS User Group Of London - https://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/