UniControl
Dave Plowman (News)
2021-12-17 15:48:40 UTC
A much loved app here. I have this RPC and a PC together with shared
monitor and keyboard, etc. UniControl makes using the best for each job
near seamless. Printing obviously, but shared clipboard and ULR launch
perhaps used even more.

On the PC side, it is set to load at boot. This no longer works after
perhaps a Win10 upgrade, and I now have to load it again manually.

Any fix?
--
*One of us is thinking about sex... OK, it's me.

Dave Plowman ***@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
charles
2021-12-17 16:37:27 UTC
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
A much loved app here. I have this RPC and a PC together with shared
monitor and keyboard, etc. UniControl makes using the best for each job
near seamless. Printing obviously, but shared clipboard and ULR launch
perhaps used even more.
On the PC side, it is set to load at boot. This no longer works after
perhaps a Win10 upgrade, and I now have to load it again manually.
Any fix?
It was a piece of Anti-virus software that stopped my copy being in the
start-up file - possibly AVG. I now load it at start-up, but that's only
about once a week.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Dave
2021-12-17 19:56:17 UTC
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
A much loved app here. I have this RPC and a PC together with shared
monitor and keyboard, etc. UniControl makes using the best for each job
near seamless. Printing obviously, but shared clipboard and ULR launch
perhaps used even more.
On the PC side, it is set to load at boot. This no longer works after
perhaps a Win10 upgrade, and I now have to load it again manually.
Any fix?
I had this problem a while back after a Win 10 update.

So Windows side in Run (Spyglass) I put (Sans quotes)

"%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

And into that directory (Folder) I put a "Uniprint.exe" Shortcut.

No problem since, even after a lot of Win 10 updates.

Dave

There are probably other ways, but that was the one that stuck.
Dave Triffid
Chris Newman
2021-12-17 22:35:23 UTC
Post by Dave
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
A much loved app here. I have this RPC and a PC together with shared
monitor and keyboard, etc. UniControl makes using the best for each job
near seamless. Printing obviously, but shared clipboard and ULR launch
perhaps used even more.
On the PC side, it is set to load at boot. This no longer works after
perhaps a Win10 upgrade, and I now have to load it again manually.
Any fix?
I had this problem a while back after a Win 10 update.
So Windows side in Run (Spyglass) I put (Sans quotes)
"%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"
And into that directory (Folder) I put a "Uniprint.exe" Shortcut.
No problem since, even after a lot of Win 10 updates.
Dave
There are probably other ways, but that was the one that stuck.
My UniServer runs at startup but as soon as I send it a print job it
closes.
Chris Newman
Adrian Crafer
2021-12-18 12:29:09 UTC
Post by Chris Newman
Post by Dave
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
[...]
I would agree that after a recent update to Win 10 Uniserver is a little
odd. On my win 10 machine, which is brand new, with the latest version of
10, Uniprint runs nearly every time on startup. I have it set up so that
the miniature icon appears on the icon bar on the right when it is
running. However when I attempt to print for the first time, I get an
error message from the Risc side, an ARMX6 that says something like the PC

is not connected or Uniserver is not running. What normally cures this is
running the full Uniserver application on the ARMX6 and selecting
Uniprint.

When this repopulates with list of printers, so yes it can see the PC
side, reselect the default printer which will be already highlighted, and
then clicking apply, everything then normally works ok. On the odd
occasion I also have to reboot the PC and then do the uniserver reselect.
NB if you get a network timeout error, you will normally have to reboot
the Win PC as if you check Uniprint you will normally find it thinks it is

receiving data, and if you try to cancel it says it will cancel at the end

of the page, but since it does not receive anymore data it will not clear,

so a reboot is the only option, or use of the Task Manager to kill
Uniprint, followed by a manual running of Uniprint.

Adrian
***@orpheusmail.co.uk
Dave Plowman (News)
2021-12-18 13:57:13 UTC
Post by Adrian Crafer
Post by Chris Newman
Post by Dave
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
[...]
My PC too has UniPrint on the icon bar. But I don't see any printers on
UniControl. Indeed, non of it works.
Post by Adrian Crafer
is not connected or Uniserver is not running. What normally cures this
is running the full Uniserver application on the ARMX6 and selecting
Uniprint.
When this repopulates with list of printers, so yes it can see the PC
side, reselect the default printer which will be already highlighted,
and then clicking apply, everything then normally works ok. On the odd
occasion I also have to reboot the PC and then do the uniserver
reselect. NB if you get a network timeout error, you will normally have
to reboot the Win PC as if you check Uniprint you will normally find it
thinks it is
All I have to do is click on the UniPrint icon on the PC to get everything
working as normal.
Post by Adrian Crafer
receiving data, and if you try to cancel it says it will cancel at the end
of the page, but since it does not receive anymore data it will not clear,
so a reboot is the only option, or use of the Task Manager to kill
Uniprint, followed by a manual running of Uniprint.
Adrian
--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Adrian Crafer
2021-12-18 15:59:38 UTC
Post by Adrian Crafer
Post by Chris Newman
Post by Dave
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
[...]
Works OK here . Win 10 Home 64 bit 21H1
Well not with Win 10 Pro 64 bit 21H2 but the problems actually started
with 21H1 plus an update or two on my previous machine which was Win 10
Home 64, and were also present when I changed to a new machine which for
some reason had not installed as 21H2 so started out at a similar update
state as the machine it replaced. So it may be a 21H1 update that is not
yet present on your machine. Half the updates are for a while on request,
but then they suddenly load without you asking.

Adrian
***@orpheusmail.co.uk
Chris Hughes
2021-12-19 20:40:40 UTC
Post by Dave
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
A much loved app here. I have this RPC and a PC together with shared
monitor and keyboard, etc. UniControl makes using the best for each job
near seamless. Printing obviously, but shared clipboard and ULR launch
perhaps used even more.
On the PC side, it is set to load at boot. This no longer works after
perhaps a Win10 upgrade, and I now have to load it again manually.
Any fix?
I had this problem a while back after a Win 10 update.
So Windows side in Run (Spyglass) I put (Sans quotes)
"%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"
And into that directory (Folder) I put a "Uniprint.exe" Shortcut.
No problem since, even after a lot of Win 10 updates.
Dave
There are probably other ways, but that was the one that stuck.
I appear to already have the UniPrint shortcut in the Startup folder. Must
have been told to put it there.
Check its in the startup section of Settings and set to be run. (not on my
PC at the moment).
--
Chris Hughes